[OM] Re: Mostly OT but suggestions needed for padding in a wooden briefc

Subject: [OM] Re: Mostly OT but suggestions needed for padding in a wooden briefcase
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 10:19:27 -0700
swisspace wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sadly I didn't get the carbon manfrotto tripod I had hoped for but I did
> get which more than made up for it a lovely handmade wooden briefcase
> (from the local handicapped market) with a nice leather trim inside. The
> problem is my laptop is too small and would bounce around inside it.

[snip]

> As this problem is similar to carrying camera equipment I thought I
> would try here for further suggestions. Oh and where do you buy that
> semi cut foam you find in aluminium and pele cases.

Ian:

Sounds like a job for closed-cell polyurethane foam sheeting.  Typically
you can find this stuff at outdoor/camping stores -- backpackers use it
as padded/insulated ground cover or sleeping mats for their sleeping
bags.  It comes in various thicknesses, is quite dense, can be easily
cut with an Xacto knife or similar, and even someone with little manual
dexterity (that would be me, ferinstance) can cut one or more sheets to
size.  They can be stapled together, sewn, even glued (as long as you
get a glue that's not too "hot," so it doesn't melt the foam altogether).

The best stuff I've found so far is gold in colour, called "Evazote."
The cheaper stuff (which is actually open-cell, and falls apart
relatively easily) is sort of a dull blue.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://tinyurl.com/ympspv

They come in other thicknesses, too.

As for pre-cut foam, I dunno.  Possibly some place like B&H Photo, or
possibly a pro photo shop near you.  Also try (again) outdoor stores,
camping places, sometimes gun/rifle shops, etc.

Hope this helps.

Garth