[OM] Re: The new digital discourse [was: Looking back and forward]

Subject: [OM] Re: The new digital discourse [was: Looking back and forward]
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 11:54:48 -0800 (PST)
> For a list-dog, by the way AG, and so unfortunately indeed,
> you seem to sleep when people offend me, or some other
> particular people's ideas too, or overall forget the
> fundamental right of opinion... but you wake up when I reply
> back :))

Lap-dogs tend to sleep a lot but growl when irritated.  There
are a couple of us that try to head things off at the pass
before the List-Mum gets involved.  I'm sorry that you didn't
see me reply directly to the other two.  By no means was I
singleing you out.  In fact I think I made it clear that both
needed to sit on their hands--of which I'm disappointed to see
wasn't followed.

> It mustn't be that you just try to reinforce your own ideas
> -which just happen to be opposite of mine, do you? Nah...

Oh really?  Do you have a clue as to what my viewpoints are in
this area?  Please do a little research on Ralph Nader for me.
That just might give you a clue.

> I praised it, I really did, do you remembered? But ooooops.. I
> said it reminded me Marx! Oh no, wrong word eh?... Marx, one
> of the classics of sociology, might be well known for his
> writing skills in describing the effects of
> industrialisation, but I shouldn't use this 'name' here
> in this list...

I understood where you were coming from, and again, it wasn't a
point I disagreed with.  However, some things generally
shouldn't get discussed on a global list.  Politics, religion
(and even though I am quite religious, I'll deflect this topic
faster than you can imagine), race and sex.  Kinda a bummer,
really, since the last one is most interesting.  I just know,
from being around here for a zillion years what the hot-button
topics are.  I wasn't attacking you, I was trying to head off a
list-disaster in the making.

> Since then no reply again from you! Oh dear...

Sorry, contrary to popular belief, I don't respond to all posts
here on the list.  Nor do I read them all.  Work schedule
dictates that I not read about 1000 per month.

> What do you want people: special treatment? keep the real
> arguments secret and hidden?

I'm just trying to figure out what it has to do with Photography
and Olympus.  I openned a thread regarding how I am improving
and what my 2007 goals were, and it got hijacked into a thread
on the ills of equipment obsolescence and the arrogance of the
manufacturers--of which I just happened to agree with you and
even gave a specific example.

> I have a better idea:
> I take a break by myself! And in the meanwhile, what about you
> start asking for that apology, do better job regulating the
> bullying attitudes and promote a culture of how to REALLY
> respect other opinions and different ways of
> thinking/writing?...

Last thing I'm going to do is say to somebody 30 years my senior
"you need to apologize" in a public forum.  That's neither my
place nor my desire.  I'll personally apologize for my own
foibles, but their responses to you are their business.  If it
interferes with the general health of the list, there will be
the List-dogs as well as the List-Mum addressing it.

Self "moderation" is always the best policy for all of us.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com