[OM] Re: XD card troubles

Subject: [OM] Re: XD card troubles
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 06:49:10 +0000
Correction - I think 98 SE has ICS - if I recall correctly. - it's been too
long since I've used 98.
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

>From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [OM] Re: XD card troubles
>Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 06:15:21 +0000
>

>Hi Moose
>If both machines have USB ports then the simplest way would be to use a USB
>flash memory stick  as a the network setup disk. Conncet the XP to the net,
>run network setup, and during setup, make the XP macjhine the gateway if
>you
>want (i.e. this machine connects directly to the Internet and other
>machines
>connect via it - life's easier that way) - then, when promoted save the
>network setup file to the memory stick and run setup from the memory stick
>on the other machines.
>'98 isn't the best (or right) OS to use for sharing an internet connection
>from - but if you need/want to do that (not recommended BTW), then get some
>proper WinProxy software that properly supports MS ICS (Internet Connection
>Sharing). XP is the preferred OS for the 'gateway' because it has ICS
>built-in, and uses (can use) NTFS (which is vastly more secure than FAT32
>since FAT32 offers no protections at all. You can get Winproxy from:
>http://www.winproxy.com/
>I remember using 'Wingate' to network 98 and ME machines years ago (ME has
>built in ICS and proxy software - 98 doesn't).
>Allan (who hasn't used 98 for a few years now)
>

>PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
>number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
>inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really
>cool
>about it).
>
>Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
>confused mass of energy, have created.
>-Disturb the mind -
>

> >From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
> >To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
> >Subject: [OM] Re: XD card troubles
> >Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 21:28:23 -0800
> >
> >TO ANYONE WHO HAS OR USES AN OLY DIGICAM WITH xD CARDS
> >
> >DO NOT USE THE CARDS IN ANY OTHER SORT OF DEVICE FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE
> >THAN DOWNLOADING THE FILES!!!
> >
> >It may be possible to do so, if you really know what you are doing, but
> >there are people who have lost the ability to use a card short of
> >sending it to Oly for "repair" (reformatting).
> >
> >Steve Goss wrote:
> > > Hi, Y'all-
> > > I think I've trashed one of my Dad's XD cards for his Olympus digicam.
> > >
> >Oops! Oly cameras are famous for being dodgy about their xD cards. You
> >really shouldn't use them in anything else, except perhaps in a Fuji
> >camera.
> > > The camera can tell that there is a card in it, but can't show any of
> >the pictures.
> > >
> >Oly uses some "different" formatting or files or something to support
> >their panoramic function. The net wizard may have messed with that,
> [...]

Windows Live? Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for free!