[OM] What I'm doing in 2007 [was: bunch of other stuff]

Subject: [OM] What I'm doing in 2007 [was: bunch of other stuff]
From: Michael Collins <Michael.Collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 14:25:55 -0500
On 12/28/06 10:33 AM, "AG Schnozz" <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ... I'm interested in seeing what other people's
> photographic goals are for 2007.

Well, it really wasn't planned this way, but it's going to be The Year of
Digital. Not that the OM-1 and OM-2n and Delta 400 are going away for good,
but stuff happens.

At the start of December I left the company I'd been with for 18 years, and
the going-away ("Hey, we *finally* got rid of him...") gift was a honkin'
great gift certificate from one of the downtown camera stores. Visions of
Boxing Day sales [no direct merkin equivalent, unless you count
Thanksgiving] danced through my head.

But what to buy, when buying the next Camera for 30 Years? Then I saw AG's
note about Moose (paraphrased): "By using such [a] camera he was able to
learn [what] he wanted and didn't want in his next digital camera." And I
thought, why not just buy a "bridge" camera from Henry's, since they will
buy back at 50% any time in the first year (as a gift certificate, though).
So I am "buying" an E-1/14-54, but it's really a year-long rental for about
$2/day! And maybe an MF-1, to avoid buying any more lenses at the moment.
Before you all say, "Why an E-1 at this point?", well, it was just impulse -
no other defence.

At the same time - my ancient PowerBook G4 is really showing its age, and
I'd been thinking a replacing it with a new MacBook Pro. But I changed my
mind at the last minute - another impulse - and last night bought a Mac Pro
and a 23" Cinema Display. I'm having the old PowerBook refurbished slightly
to be just a usable browser/e-mail tool when I'm on the road - I really
don't need portable computing as much as I thought I did. Now, by the time
CS3 is out, and I've decided between Aperture and Lightroom...

That gets the hardware out of the way. Back to AG's real question: the
goals. Three for 2007: learn more and better about light, because that's
been my weakest point; quantity, so I can make enough mistakes to learn
from; and exploring my own city even more. And TOPE. And posting some of
what I do, for critique and feedback. Guess that makes five.

Michael