[OM] Re: Most influential cameras

Subject: [OM] Re: Most influential cameras
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 13:33:53 -0800 (PST)
> I'm not sure about this one. I think the 'blad killed off 4x5
> long before the RB was viable.

4x5 was dying long before the RB, but there was no one camera
system that forced wholesale changes of equipment for the studio
photographer.  I suppose one could say both the Hasselblad did,
but in reality, the larger image-size was still a trump card in
favor of 6x7 with the rotating back.  Soon later, the 645 came
out, but I don't see that as revolutionary as the Hasselblad
which proceeded it.  Even though Hasselblad was around prior to
the RB, there were a lot of different 6x7 and 6x9 rangefinder
style cameras that bridged the gap.  There were a handful of
other cameras, including the various Fujis that continued with
the 6x7 studio-SLR format.

> While flawed in retrospect, the Spotmatic was entrenched in PJ
> work before the F existed. The Rollei killed off the Graphic,
> the Spotmatic killed off the Rollei, and the Nikon F killed
> off the Spotmatic.

I thought about the Spotmatic and probably should have given
that the nod instead of the F, but my thinking wasn't about who
was necessarily "first" but who really influenced the changes
which other manufacturers followed.  Probably where the F stands
out is the "system" approach.  But you are absolutely right,
Pentax should have gotten the call there.  What then, did Nikon
influence?

As far as Olympus with the Pen, I'm having a hard time seeing
where that influenced future camera designs other than size.

Making us think, eh?

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com