[OM] Re: Monitor (calibration)

Subject: [OM] Re: Monitor (calibration)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 22:31:36 -0800
Allan Mee wrote:
> A problem for colour profiling a monitor is that the 'light' isn't just
> one-way (I know that most people probably think it is). Let me explain.
> Let's say you do your colour profiling at night. The chances are you will be
> illuminating the room with artificial light. So during the day, when [I
> assume] the room is illuminated with daylight
An inaccurate assumption in my case. The difference in light between day
and night is intentionally quite small at my computer -  for just the
reasons you raise.
> <snip some good stuff>.
> What would be nice I guess, is some software [in the OS itself] that would
> automatically select an appropriate general/global colour profile you've
> already set-up based on the time of day/night and which would allow you to
> easily but temporarily over-ride it and set/select another colour profile
> for a session.

There is a hardware/software solution that monitors room light and
adjusts the monitor accordingly. Relatively inexpensive, but I don't at
the moment recall its catchy name and don't know how well it works. If
it works well, this would be a better solution for things like photo
editing than the time of day thing.

Moose