[OM] Re: Monitor (calibration)

Subject: [OM] Re: Monitor (calibration)
From: Thomas Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 13:58:42 +0100

On 29Dec , 2006, at 7:57 AM, Wayne Harridge wrote:

>> A problem for colour profiling a monitor is that the 'light'
>> isn't just
>> one-way (I know that most people probably think it is).
>
> Yeah, the monitor produces it's own light, prints are viewed by
> reflected
> light.
> I guess if you want to get serious about having the print look like
> the
> image on the monitor you need to profile the printed output based
> on the
> light it will be viewed by.

That's a very good guess, Wayne, and many comercial / pro shops
actually do this. Now, again, I am not sure how much of a difference
it makes for regular use, however for gallery prints etc., it's
important.

There's an interesting book on the subject of color management called
"Real Wolframrld Color Management", 2nd ed.:

http://www.amazon.com/Real-World-Color-Management-Second/dp/
0321267222/sr=8-1/qid=1167396973/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-3028890-4517215?
ie=UTF8&s=books

Recommended reading...despite the orthograpic error in the title.

--
Thomas Clausen
Thomas.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx