[OM] Re: Stand to hold a flash

Subject: [OM] Re: Stand to hold a flash
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 10:46:05 -0500
Already been down that route based on info I got from a Canadian
distributor whose web site had an old page showing the stand as
available when it wasn't.  Not their fault really since it was an old
link pointed to by Google but no longer accessible from their home page.

According to that distributor, Red Wing is an English company but the
QuickStand is actually manufactured by an Italian company (name unknown
to me.  Who knows; maybe even Manfrotto).  In any case, he told me that
Red Wing is willing to make more of them but only if given a 5,000 piece
order.

The mechanism is actually fairly simple.  Given a suitable stand to use
as a base for modification and an extra piece of appropriately sized
telescoping tubing it shouldn't be difficult to make something similar.
  These stands had been around for many years so I doubt there is any
existing patent protection.  I've been surprised that a Chinese
manufacturer hasn't stepped in to fill the void.  Every event
photographer in the world and many others as well could make good use of
one.  There really is nothing else like it if you use multiple lights
for people shots at events (stand for the main light and on-camera flash
for fill) and have to work without an assistant.  It's also extremely
handy as a fill light with outdoor flash... especially in bright sun.  A
small umbrella will produce much softer and pleasing fill light than an
on-camera flash even with a large diffuser.

Chuck Norcutt