[OM] Re: What I did (am doing) on my holidays

Subject: [OM] Re: What I did (am doing) on my holidays
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 08:15:09 -0800 (PST)
Chuck wrote:
> Please tell us more about art sales.  What's your definition
> of art prints (maybe point to a sample or two) and how do you
> market them?

Well, until a month ago, I was pretty much lamenting my art
print sales, but the Christmas season has been good.

At the moment, my main means of selling have been through:
1. Framing Gallery (they take a % of the total)
2. Direct at home where visitors literally buy the pictures
hanging on the wall (my wife takes a % of the total--LOL)
3. At work where I have pictures hanging on my office wall
4. Direct POS where my wife is guest speaking
5. Internet.
6. Friends buying prints for other friends/family.
7. Salesmanship--repeat buyers. :)

There has been a huge shift this year in print sizes.  Image
sizes under 8x10 had been popular, but it's all shifted upward.
One particular image, which has been selling well this year
works well in 5x7 image size or mammoth (3x4').  It only takes a
couple of those big prints to make budget.  :)

I've sold a few shots from Isle Royale already, but I'm not
satisfied with the cropping or color manipulation quite yet.  It
takes me quite a while to get what I want.

Oh, one picture that sold a couple weeks ago was a total
suprise.  It was a B&W that never made it into display and I
wasn't happy with, but the customer spotted it in my pile of
"blah prints" and instantly wanted it.  I'll blame my wife for
that one.  I was almost embarrassed to sign it.  I've told her a
few times that pile was my outtakes or works in progress.

Examples of what has sold well lately?  Well, the ZPrint
waterfall is popular (for good reason), the capital train-yard
and a barn scene.  Snowscapes have been good the last few weeks.
One sold that was hanging in the gallery for years.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com