[OM] Re: Looking back and forward

Subject: [OM] Re: Looking back and forward
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 10:03:18 -0700

AG Schnozz wrote:

<< snip

And it really grouses me to no end when a personal favorite
hangs in the gallery for years without budging, but what I
consider to be a "pedestrian" photo sells the day after getting
hung.  I think my biggest seller (quantity) in the past two
years is a rather lame picture of a wagon in front of a barn
buried in weeds.

<< snip

Sometimes it is impossible to account for customers preferences or tastes.
There are things one can learn about a specific market to help sales though.
I used to sell prints through a local gift shop and the best sellers here
were pictures of the Tetons. I had some images taken up high in the
mountains that I really liked but they sold poorly. Others, mostly taken
from the valley floor, sold much better but seemed very ordinary to me. I
found out that people prefer to buy pictures that reflect scenes they had
actually seen from the valley. They wanted to take home something to recall
their memories.

/jmac