[OM] Re: 65-116 auto tube coupling problem

Subject: [OM] Re: 65-116 auto tube coupling problem
From: priit@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 20:33:08 +0200 (EET)

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> I suggest you put a lens on the tube and set the shutter speed dial on
> "B".  Open the back of the camera and hold the shutter open while you
> attach the tube/lens combo.  With the back open you should be able to
> observe the coupling (or failure thereof) between the tube's coupling
> lever and the meter arm.  You may also want to compare with another lens
> or two without the tube such that you see how things are supposed to be
> aligned.  You'll soon figure out what's bent and how to correct it.

That was an excellent suggestion, thank you. Using this approach I was
able to see what's going on. The lever actually moves the arm correctly up
to f/8, but going from there to f/5.6 it invariably slips past the arm and
gets stuck.

It does not even look like if anything was bent. The corner of the meter
arm is a bit rounded and the lever on the telescopic tube is quite long
and therefore not as rigid as the ones on lenses or shorter tubes. It has
also a lot of room to move sideways, in this case towards the centre of
the mount. I guess this makes it easier to slip by the meter arm.

priit.