[OM] OT On hazards of aging

Subject: [OM] OT On hazards of aging
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 22:31:17 +1300
Hello all,

Possibly some of you can relate to this  ... ...

If you think you are too young - be warned.

A couple of days ago I drove my car home, wearing my "distance"
spectacles. I may or may not have done some grocery shopping on the way,
I don't remember. Not crucially important.

Now, actually from yesterday, I cannot find them. Not at all.

I am aware now of the perils of placing important things such as keys, wallet,
and glasses, predictably in a restricted set of places so I can easily find
them again. If I put them in some other spot that is convenient at the time,
the probability is that later I won't remember that, and spend ages looking for
what ever it is I then need.

Sometimes I put my distance glasses in the grocery shopping bag for the
short  trip from the car to the house, then do logical things with them once
inside.

Having turned the place inside out ( and made it tidier in the process) I am no
closer to finding them and face the unwelcome prospect of getting new ones.
I've checked all the horizontal surfaces and some that are not, as well as
containers such as bags and pockets.

Simple, you say, since I have fairly recent tests to use? No.

My optician has a very limited range of frame styles which concentrates on
those neat, miniature, and often frameless kinds. They do not stock the older
larger frames which give better physical eye protection against wind, wind-
blown objects, twigs when exploring in bush, as well as a wider field of
corrected vision which is handy for seeing out of the corner of ones' eye. So I
will have to do the rounds of opticians and purchase the best available
elsewhere, perhaps going to some rural practitioner who services the needs
of practical people and not those who slavishly follow fashion, as my optician
does.

And I will have to drive using my normal walking specs which are OK up to
30 yards, but I do not feel comfortable driving with them. Images over 30
yards are not quite as sharp as I'd like while driving.

No, I do not want contact lenses (no eye protection), and I long ago decided,
having taken expert advice, that spectacles would give me better vision than
laser surgery.

A problem shared is a problem eased. Now I feel better. :-) How about you?

Brian