[OM] OT Sound effects, was Ran into a photographer

Subject: [OM] OT Sound effects, was Ran into a photographer
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 06:19:02 +0000
There has to be a cue, of course, but I watched "Wind in the Willows"
on TV last night (the latest, acted version with Bob Hoskins as
Badger and Matt Lucas as Toad) and they had completely the wrong
sounds for a little steam engine in England.  Not only was the "sound
of whistle in the distance" plainly from a larger, US locomotive
(double and discordant), but the "chuff-chuff, setting off from the
railway station" noises missed out one of the regular steam valve
sounds, easily as loud as the main "chuff".

But the worst of the simplistic sound effects is the squealing of
tyres.  Not only do we have squeals in films when the car is clearly
not push the edges of tyre adhesion but I have seen it when the tyres
are on all manner of inappropriate surfaces such as grass or mud!

Chris