[OM] Re: My OM gears bring me a lot of fun #27

Subject: [OM] Re: My OM gears bring me a lot of fun #27
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 08:06:31 -0500
Pretty much my conclusion as well.  The woman and dog are in sufficient
shadow that I'm straining to see them and it's detracting from the
lovely background which is very nicely pointed to by the pier.  The
heavily shadowed foreground pretty much dictates that the people not be
there.

Including people in a bright sun, heavy shade situation like this is
fraught with difficulty.  If they're in heavy shadow they can't be seen
properly.  If the exposure is brought up to improve the shadowed
foreground the background will be overexposed.  If faced with this kind
of lighting in a portrait situation, to see the people and keep the
background in control requires a fair amount of flash power.  The camera
is best set at minimum ISO, the shutter needs to be set at maximum flash
sync speed and the aperture set for the proper ambient light exposure of
the background.  Then you need enough flash power to light the
foreground according to the now predetermined aperture.

Chuck Norcutt