[OM] Re: OT On hazards of aging

Subject: [OM] Re: OT On hazards of aging
From: Doug Smith <dhsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 19:49:22 -0500
On Tue January 2 2007 7:55 am, Wayne Culberson wrote:

> ... However, the new ones are worse, as
> anything outside of almost perfectly straight on is blurry. The optical
> store I bought them from is arguing that that is normal, as they are
> aspherical lenses, whereas my older ones are spherical. Their argument is
> that aspherical lenses are better when you look perfectly straight on, and
> can be made thinner and lighter, but the trade-off is that when you cast
> your eyes to the side without turning your head, they are more blurry. Is
> that true? So do aspherical camera lenses give pics only sharp in the
> center? I'm not buying it yet and am arguing for replacement lenses. They
> are arguing that I have to learn to always turn my head, rather than my
> eyes. Well, I'm too old to turn my head far enough to do a shoulder check,
> for instance.

I'll bet they never had a conversation with you about the tradeoffs involved
between lighter and thinner and and the ability to see with the glasses
except straight down the middle. My frustration with experts such as these is
that they presume to make these decisions without any knowledge about how one
lives their life. About 10 years ago an  optometrist   made a pair of glasses
out of polycarbonate which was supposed to be the greatest thing in the
world. It wasn't  The chromatic aberration was so bad that a neon green label
would have a wide yellow band along one edge. I finally ate the cost and went
somewhere else.