[OM] Re: A new year, a new website ...

Subject: [OM] Re: A new year, a new website ...
From: "Marc Lawrence" <MLawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 13:00:54 +1100
> Chris Barker wrote:
> [...]
> www.threeshoes.net/photography/ang-abbey/
>
> It's Anglesey Abbey and its gardens. [...]
>
> I have felt free to offer advice to others and I should
> be most grateful if someone could look and do the same,
> sometime over the next week or so.

First up, this one

http://www.threeshoes.net/photography/ang-abbey/large-7.html

I particularly like. I suspect it has more of the sky than
I'd prefer, as it is those bright trunks against the
different backgrounds that mostly work for me, but then,
on more contemplation, that blue is definitely a significant
attractant too. (Does this get an award for "Least Helpful
Criticism"? <g>)

Detail shots such as this

http://www.threeshoes.net/photography/ang-abbey/large-9.html

interest me, though I'm wondering if cropping of the wheel
itself may not be to the photo's advantage. Perhaps a lower
viewpoint would have assisted, though this is obviously
hard to say without being there.

The composition on this

http://www.threeshoes.net/photography/ang-abbey/large-11.html

is interesting, though I think a slightly squarer crop, with
much off the right, and just a tad off the left (losing the
lower of the intruding branches on the left) may improve it.
It strikes me, in this picture, how much consideration you
give to composition of overall shapes and major lines in
these pictures, and that makes them all interesting to
contemplate. Here is another that might also benefit from a
sqare crop:

http://www.threeshoes.net/photography/ang-abbey/large-12.html

(I note some of your photos appear quite dark - it may be my
monitor, but I thought I'd mention it in case others notice it
too, and in case it is your intent).

The following is quite dark in spots:

http://www.threeshoes.net/photography/ang-abbey/large-14.html

though I see intent there. :-)

Of them all, I am enjoying this one the most:

http://www.threeshoes.net/photography/ang-abbey/large-17.html

I realise credit must also be given to the sculptor and the
gardener, but the image is definitely composed in a way
that includes the photographer as the third leg of that
tripod of attraction. You have a good "eye" there, Chris.

Cheers,
Marc
Sydney, Oz