[OM] Re: OT On hazards of aging

Subject: [OM] Re: OT On hazards of aging
From: Doug Smith <dhsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 21:37:28 -0500
On Tue January 2 2007 7:51 pm, Moose wrote:
> Doug Smith wrote:
> > I'll bet they never had a conversation with you about the tradeoffs
> > involved between lighter and thinner and and the ability to see with the
> > glasses except straight down the middle.
>
> I guess I was lucky. The optometrist who first suggested them to me was
> very knowledgeable and explained all the pros and cons throughly to me.
> Perhaps making such an informed decision helped me adjust so easily.
>
> Moose

I've worn glasses since I was 9. I'm now in my 40s and suspect that I'll end
up with bifocals when I get a new prescription. I have have questions about
them. I've always had problems adjusting to different glasses. I'm talking 3
or 4 days to adjust to a change in lens with the same prescription in the
same frames. I tried to have a pair of prescription sunglasses, but I
couldn't cope with changing back and forth between 2 pairs of glasses. In
fact I'm sensitive enough to distortions in glass that wind shields with
distortions in them are the second most common reason for me to walk away
from a particular make and model of car.  The questions I have is what kinds
of difficulties did you folks have in adjusting to bifocals, what should I
look out for and what questions should I be asking. Thanks everyone.