[OM] Re: A new year, a new website ...

Subject: [OM] Re: A new year, a new website ...
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 06:29:08 +0000
Thanks, Jonny.
On 2 Jan 2007, at 21:08, Johnny Johnson wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> I'm late to the party and it appears that you've already deleted at
> least one image since someone mentioned that #20 is their favorite
> and I only see a total of 19 but here's my thoughts:

Yes, I deleted the line of dogwoods that was mostly out of focus
(schoolboy error!).

> I like the layout as it now stands.  It's easy to navigate and I'm
> partial to black backgrounds - they're easier on my eyes than light
> ones.  As to the images I like #19 the best and don't see anything
> that I would change about it.  #9 is also very good but might have
> been improved slightly if the bottom of the wheel hadn't been
> cropped.  To my eyes #9 has the most potential of the group but two
> things spoil it for me.  The first, as others have mentioned, is the
> second path that is partially shown on the right.  I think the image
> can be improved by cropping the RH side.  Also, the diagonal limb in
> the top left corner is in conflict with the balance of the image and
> my eye keeps being drawn to it.

Yes, that diagonal is a bit of a bugger.  But I find the little
spinney a great subject and I shall improve on these first, cack-
handed attempts to make a good image out of them.

> What's your position on cropping?  Do your ethics allow cropping
> during post processing or do you feel that you need to capture the
> final image in the camera?

My position is based on pragmatism.  If I am using a 5mp camera and I
crop I lose a fair number of pixels.  But I will crop to make a
decent image.

> Anyway, looks like a nice place to hone your skills and I look
> forward to seeing more images from there as the year progresses.

Thanks, chum.

Chris