[OM] Re: OT focusing with progressives (was: On hazards of aging)

Subject: [OM] Re: OT focusing with progressives (was: On hazards of aging)
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 09:04:52 -0600
> How do you do it? Since getting these new glasses with progressive
> lenses i can't manage a decent focus without setting the hyperfocal
> distance and/or shooting at f16.
I've had progressives for at least 10 years. I haven't been shooting any
sharper, I'll agree, but when I give the task even the slightest bit of
thought, I do OK. I've found that I generally use the same piece of lens for
focusing, and I'll bet you do, too. We mostly have a way that we hold a
camera to our faces that makes us return to an exact position.

I've found I have more trouble with the 'blad and the 45 prism, as the
eyepiece is huge, and there's not much surrounding camera against which I
press my face.

For me, what suffers most is grab shots.

 >Switch to a split image  screen?

I'll admit to doing that, too, and it seems to have some addvantage, but
less than I expected.

Buy an E400? This getting old business really has it's downside.
Whole different set of problems.

Oddly, the biggest problem I've had isn't focus. I've not shot an entirely
level horizon since I got bifocals. And yes, I do have grid screens.
Installed in some cases.

Bill Pearce