[OM] Re: Yes, he is finally installing a back up drive and has two quest

Subject: [OM] Re: Yes, he is finally installing a back up drive and has two questi...
From: Thomas Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 19:15:47 +0100

On 3Jan , 2007, at 2:53 PM, NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 1/3/2007 7:43:53 A.M. Central Standard Time,
> bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> This  site may help you  decide:
> http://www.directron.com/firewirevsusb.html
> Allan
>

> Sounds like FireWire wins.  Thank you.  I'll wait an hour or so
> for the nay
> sayers to show up and then install the FireWire cable, unless I'm
> convinced
> not to do so. Bill Barber

Bill,

The site provided by Allan does, if I may respectfully say so,
provide a fairly simplistic view and evaluates only a minor part of
the equation FW-vs-USB.

For speed & delays FireWire wins in my book - however the mechanical
reliability of the firewire plugs leaves a LOT to be desired, so if
you intend to disconnect/reconnect the device more than - say - once
a year, then I'd think twice. In particular since there are reports
and first-hand experience (yes, me) that the plugging/unplugging
operation of a FW cable can have dire conseqences.

For that particular reason, I'd never recommend or use FW in any
"professional" or personal setting - there are better connectors out
there for the pro (who's willing to pay) and there's very little
gained for the hobbyist in using FW400 over USB2.

Personally, I do have a 1TB disk (raid0) hooked up via FW800. That's
my scratch-disk, so speed is of importance (and, as you can tell from
the raid0 set-up, reliability less so), it is never disconnected and
I had a spare FW800 port in my box. Anything "serious" and important
is on other connects (*-sata, USB2, Fibre..) since I do not trust FW
much.

--
Thomas Clausen
Thomas.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx