[OM] Re: [lens] Re: OT - on returning to film

Subject: [OM] Re: [lens] Re: OT - on returning to film
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 13:30:04 -0500
Sounds like you missed the discussion of CD longevity (or lack thereof)
from a few weeks back.  If you're going to use CD's or DVD's you must
use the gold ones.  Normal CD's and DVD's have a thin layer of aluminum
sputtered on the plastic which is then covered with a thin layer of
lacquer.  Ultimately, water vapor and oxygen find their way through and
around the edges of the lacquer and oxidize the aluminum... thus also
oxidizing your image bits.

The gold stuff won't oxidize but you'll pay much more for them.  But if
accelerated aging tests are to be believed 50-100 years life should be
expected.

<http://www.encoredataproducts.com/Gold-Archival-Gold-Media-p-1-c-344.html>

You can get a 5% discount here by using a discount code "TOP5" when
checking out your order.  I found that on Mike Johnston's site but can't
seem to locate it again.

While looking for that I also found this interesting link which makes a
strong technical argument for the use of DVD+R media based on
significant improvements in error correction methods over other DVD
media types.
<http://adterrasperaspera.com/blog/2006/10/30/how-to-choose-cddvd-archival-media/>

Chuck Norcutt