[OM] Re: RE : Newby Intro + Zuiko prime lens question

Subject: [OM] Re: RE : Newby Intro + Zuiko prime lens question
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 23:40:26 EST
In a message dated 1/3/2007 7:47:31 P.M. Central Standard Time,
wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

My  advice is to try the lens and see whether you like it.  Consider
that 1,100,000 used and were happy with earlier versions and  one
of those earlier versions did very well against its competitors  in an
old photo mag test.

Any of those portrait lenses will  do superbly. Although I had a 85/2,
the 100/2.8 is perhaps the best  bargain. I don't think you can do
better than this 100/2.8  shot:

My Zuikos and a few Tamron SPs are for me a little like having full run  of
the sorority house.  If you have a bunch of them, you can have your  choice
anytime you want.  I find myself falling in love with a new one  all the time.
current favorite, and one that holds that position often,  is the 85mm f2.
Just got through shooting my entire roll of Odyssey film  with it.  I'm in
agreement with the assessment that the 100mm f2.8 is  a bargain and also a
really
nice lens. If both lenses were the same price, I'd  probably go with the 85mm
f2.  If it were three times the price of the  100mm f2.8, the 100mm might well
win out.

Trying it out is also good advice.  Buy one, live with it for awhile  and if
you end up not liking it, you should be able to sell it and not take  a bath
assuming it was bought "right."

I will begin teaching a 6 week introductory photography class on  Monday.
Several of my students will be using OMs from my stable of  extras.  Each will
be furnished only a 50mm f1.8, as I want them to learn  basic concepts and not
worry so much about the equipment.  At the end of  the six weeks, my
expectation is they will have a good understanding of shutter  speeds,
apertures, depth
of field & basic composition.  They will also  have some idea of what the
50mm lens can do for them and then make decisions  about what else that might
want to try.   I find that I need to do  this exercise from time to time when I
have a new lens.  Folks on this list  can (and do) try to head you in the right
direction, however at the end of the  day, it will be your relationship with
the lens that has you keep it or send it  to live with someone else.

Bill Barber