[OM] Re: Yes, he is finally installing a back up drive and has

Subject: [OM] Re: Yes, he is finally installing a back up drive and has
From: Thomas Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 15:36:03 +0100

On 4Jan , 2007, at 12:26 PM, Moose wrote:

> Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>> You implied, but didn't state it, that this external drive has both
>> eSATA and USB connectors.  Is that correct?
> Yup. And I'm careful to state HS-USB 2.0. There are still a few
> inexpensive external HDs that just say USB. looking closely at the
> specs
> of one of them, it has a very slow transfer rate, obviously "regular"
> 2.0. If it don't say High Speed USB, don't buy it without checking. I
> doubt if anybody is still making the slow ones, but they are still in
> the sales channels.
>> Next question, given the recent discussion of connector robustness
>> (or lack thereof) how do you
>> rate the eSATA connectors just based on a visual exam?
>>
> First, I disconnect my 500 gb back-up drive by unplugging the FW
> cable,
> blind from behind, and haven't had any trouble. Sems pretty sturdy to
> me, although I don't know what Thomas does with them.  :-) These
> are the
> full size connectors. the mini connectors, as on my VTR and notebook,
> are much smaller. So far, the moderate care I take of them has worked.

Mini-FW connectors are an abomination - *very* fragile. I don't know
what I do to the full-sized ones either ;) My bad experiences come
from usage no more heavy than plugging/unplugging weekly or so.
Occasional pluggin/unplugging is probably OK, I guess.

> The eSATA connector looks like it has good size  connector pads
> that are
> well recessed and channels on the sides to guide it in straight.
> Not up
> to heavy-duty use, but looks fine for my needs. Probably be obsolete
> before it starts to wear. :-)

eSATA seems more sturdy to me than FW - at least, I've not had any
bad experiences (yet) with that connect. Inconveniences: eSATA is not
powered, and not chainable.

--
Thomas Clausen
Thomas.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx