[OM] Re: True confessions - Why I finally set up the external back up dr

Subject: [OM] Re: True confessions - Why I finally set up the external back up drive and another ?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 15:33:09 -0800
First, why are we only talking about AV? The vast majority of us should
be using AV, firewall and anti mal-ware. And something to keep the
registry clean, but that's another story...

Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> Because of my prior happy experiences I installed Norton on my father's
> computer and my daughter's computer both of which ended up having all
> sorts of bizarre problems.  Norton forced me to upgrade at some point by
> saying the new anti-virus database would no longer work with the old
> version.  As soon as I installed the new stuff all hell broke loose on
> my system.  Nothing seemed to work right anymore and I found it almost
> impossible to uninstall from all three machines.
>
> I concluded that Norton's application had gone far beyond anti-virus and
> had just grown to the point of collapsing under its own weight and
> p-poor quality control.  Never again.

My experience hasn't been as bad as yours, but I'm switching out of
Norton on this machine when the year expires in a couple of weeks.

I've been using Norton for many many years. I put Norton Security 2005
on this machine a couple of years ago to get the combo of AV, anti
malware and firewall together. It has worked well without any
siginificant problems, including through the XP SP2 upgrade.

When I got my now year+ old notebook, it came with a 60 day Norton
Security 2006. It has given me not fits, like you, but enough trouble
that I am unimpressed. Before the Norton firewall, I was using and quite
happy with the free ZoneAlarm firewall and PC mag has been giving the ZA
security suite top marks, so when they offered it cheap at year end, I
bought it. Install comes late next week, and I'll see what's what. If it
works, it will replace Norton on the notebook when the AV subscription
expires.

McAfee seems to be highly variable depending on the operating system and
age of the hardware. Absolutely unusable on a W98 system. And endless
notices popping up Maybe fine on XP, but I'm not buying something I
threw away again.