[OM] Re: Approaching demise of P&S?

Subject: [OM] Re: Approaching demise of P&S?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 12:30:56 -0800 (PST)
> > But then, I can't imagine watching a movie on a 2x2 screen,
> either.

There is a common image-height to viewing-distance ratio which pretty
well dictates things here.  The general rule is to never exceed 8X
image-height, and no closer than 4X image-height.  The "normal"
person will be most comfortable at around 5-6X image-height.

What this means is that a little 2-inch high screen will typically be
viewed at about 1-foot distance.  This provides almost the same
apparent image-height as a 20-inch high screen viewed at 10-foot
distance.  The bigger the screen, the farther you'll sit from it.
Buying the correct size TV screen for your house is easy--just figure
where you sit and where the TV screen will sit and measure it out.
Divide that number by 5 or 6 and that's the screen height you need to
buy.  Ignore the diagonal or width, it's the height which is most
important.

When we install video projection equipment in houses of worship, we
stick to these rules very much and try to never exceed that 8X
image-height distance.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com