[OM] Re: E-330 Question

Subject: [OM] Re: E-330 Question
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 19:26:34 -0600
On 1/5/07, Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> At 03:44 PM 1/5/2007, Joel Wilcox wrote:
>
> >The LCD is a lot better than the E-1's,
> >both for size, obviously, and viewability, though it can't hold up to
> >direct sunlight.
>
> That probably isn't a deal breaker for me.  A lot of my wildflower
> shots are in the deep woods anyway and 99% are done using a tripod so
> it should be easy to shade the LCD with my hand if push comes to shove.

Man, you'll love it in that setting.  Knee-level photography (the pain
thereof) will never be the same!

>  >To answer your question, the 10x focus zoom works very
> >well.
>
> That should be a big improvement over what I'm using now then which
> is an SLR with right angle finder.  The finder has a 2 1/2 power
> setting and I have a split image screen installed but those don't
> work well together unless the focus point is in the center of the
> image and that sure does limit you when it comes to composition.

Yes, it's quite wonderful because there is a little green focus box
that can be moved almost to any point on the LCD to check focus at
that point.

> >Especially with noise reduction turned on, it shoots quite cleanly at
> >high ISOs.
>
> I'm a little surprised to hear that but it will be an appreciated
> bonus.  High shutter speeds are nice because most hours of the day
> wildflowers are moving around in the wind.  I guess I'll need to
> experiment and see how the noise reduction affects the resolution of details.

Yes, that's a good idea.  I ran some tests before my trip and found
that NR reduces the graininess considerably without softening up the
edges.  Contrast is minimally affected.  It's a big improvement on the
E-1, though the E-1 allows ISO 3200.  You'll obviously want to do your
own tests, and I'll be very interested in what you find.

> >That's more than you asked for, and sorry don't mean to gush, but I
> >did enjoy myself with the E-330.
>
> It sure sounds like it and you've been a good salesman!  ;-)   Looks
> like it's time to log on to Amazon and close the deal.
>
> Thanks a bunch,
> Johnny

Yeah, I'm really not trying to sell the E-330, but if you like it,
I'll try to live with it!  One thing I forgot to mention that I DON'T
like is the RAW support.  You'll get Olympus MASTER with the camera.
I should probably load this up on the PC, but I didn't care for it
when I got my first Olympus digicam.  It may now be better.  I prefer
Olympus Viewer and version 1.51 purports to provide E-330 support, but
the interface is much less powerful than for the E-1.  Now that I'm
back, perhaps I'll give MASTER a whirl again.  I've also been thinking
about trying Olympus Studio, though that's not a freebie.  Feel free
to contact me offline if I can be helpful at all.

Joel W.