[OM] Re: Yes, he is finally installing a back up drive and has

Subject: [OM] Re: Yes, he is finally installing a back up drive and has
From: Thomas Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 17:41:13 +0100

On 6Jan , 2007, at 4:00 PM, Chris Barker wrote:

> Well done, Jez :-)  But will you point me to the shop?
>
> Chris
>
> On 6 Jan 2007, at 13:45, Jez Cunningham wrote:
>
>> I just picked up one of those Linksys NAS boxes, wrongly labelled
>> (I think),
>> new, for 19.90euro.  A piece of cake to set up (plugged into back
>> of wifi
>> router) but it warns that the attached USB drive will be
>> reformatted in a
>> way that it can no longer be used as a regular USB drive.  ?

It's a NAS2, right? I have one, works OK. Notice that it formats
disks in ext3, which can be mounted under Linux and files accessed
from there. Also note that the NAS2 is really just a linux-box
running SAMBA. And, if you mount your disk on a linux box, you have
access to the SAMBA config. This is handy since it happens that the
web-based gui/config system f**** up the configuration (e.g. you
create a share, but can't assign access rights to it) -- which is
easily fixed by mounting the disk on your Linux box and editing the
samba config files directly.

I'm contemplating getting a second NAS2, if I can find a price as
attractive as yours, since once you know its quirks it's a handy lil'
thing. Jez, you're not starting an export-business of these devices,
are ya'? (going to the shop, picking up the stock and sending out to
listees? :) )

>> I don't understand what it did when it reformatted,

Essentially, it formatted the disks in ext3 - understandable only by
Linux, but by no means a mysterious format.

I want a second one - where did you buy it? :)

>> but it works
>> ok, and is
>> a useful addition to the wifi house.  I've got mine and my wife's PCs
>> backing up 'My Pictures' to it (as a second backup to the already
>> attached
>> USB drives) and I've got a laptop downstairs with the screensaver
>> randomly
>> displaying photos from that drive.
>>
>> According to the sales bumf (but I haven't read the user manual on
>> the CD
>> yet) you can make it internet accessible too...
>>
>> Recommended at 19.90 :-)

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Thomas Clausen