[OM] Re: E-330 Question

Subject: [OM] Re: E-330 Question
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 15:36:47 -0700
Joel Wilcox wrote:
> It's a bit hard for me to imagine not having had the E-1 experience.
> If there is such a thing as a classic in these digital thingies, the
> E-1 must be it.

  That's pretty much how I feel. I'm sure there's 'classics' in the
canon/nikon ranges as well, but there's so many more to choose from
there it's less obvious which they would be.

> It's not like just because there is an E-330 you can't do macro with
> the E-1.  I just think that at the end of the day if you do a lot of
> macro the E-330 is going to be easier on the body (the human body,
> that is).

  Exactly -- but I also found the e-330 easier to use for very
focus-critical things than an OM, which was not totally surprising but
still nice.

> The form factor of the E-330 has been nothing but advantageous so far,
> from the ability to use a third-party flash along with the built-in
> one to the way it slips so easily into my bag.  It travels extremely
> well, better than the E-1 for me.

  While the E-330 is smaller, I still prefer the ergonomics of the E-1.
The E-1 has buttons scattered all over the body much more
randomly-seeming than the 330's relatively regular arrangement, but that
also means that everything I need to do on the E-1 is available. I find
myself having to stop and navigate the settings a lot more often with
the e-330 than I ever did with the E-1 -- things like setting one touch
white balance are one button press on the e-1, but on the e-330 (unless
I'm missing something) it's menu, select menu item, choose from menu
item, back out of menus, dial+button, shoot, because the button that
would be one-touch-wb is also the button that would let you switch
between selftimer/single/sequential shooting, and you have to go through
menus to change it around.

  Not a fatal problem, but that sort of thing is noticeable. I've not
tried using the E-330 in full manual mode yet, but I don't see how it
would be a very pleasant experience as it only has one control dial to
set with.

  (other gripes, in case anyone knows the answer -- I wish it were
easier to switch into/out of 10x zoom mode in live view B, it would be
nice to have some sort of one-touch mode, rather than needing to hit
INFO until I get to the right overlay.

  I wish live view boost wasn't buried on a secondary page of menus,
because I do change my mind about wanting it turned on more often than
I'd expected.

  I wish that when I viewed images in playback mode, I actually saw the
image I'd taken, rather than a lower-res, low quality jpeg version of
the image. It's normally okay, but the jpeg artifacts can occasionally
make it difficult to tell if I really did get focus okay or not.)

  On a positive note, I rather like the look of the E-330 with a 50/1.8
on the front. It's not a 'classic' look at all, but it has a certain
cheerful goofiness to it.

> The E-330 is a lovely camera, and I am very smitten with it.  Once the
> pitter-patter of my heart quiets down, I suspect that I will reach for
> the E-1 again.

  Yup. I'm really enjoying the e-330, for all my griping.

  -- dan