[OM] Re: E-330 Question

Subject: [OM] Re: E-330 Question
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 19:14:32 -0600
On 1/7/07, Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  While the E-330 is smaller, I still prefer the ergonomics of the E-1.
> The E-1 has buttons scattered all over the body much more
> randomly-seeming than the 330's relatively regular arrangement, but that
> also means that everything I need to do on the E-1 is available. I find
> myself having to stop and navigate the settings a lot more often with
> the e-330 than I ever did with the E-1 -- things like setting one touch
> white balance are one button press on the e-1, but on the e-330 (unless
> I'm missing something) it's menu, select menu item, choose from menu
> item, back out of menus, dial+button, shoot, because the button that
> would be one-touch-wb is also the button that would let you switch
> between selftimer/single/sequential shooting, and you have to go through
> menus to change it around.

I don't think you're missing anything.  The custom WB function is very
different on the E-330.  I'm pretty sure the E-1 system is better, but
I don't use it on either camera very much.  E-330 auto WB is really
good and RAW processing just makes the custom process otiose to me.  I
actually like to see what the camera does with auto WB so I know what
I'm trying to out-smart!

But your point is well-taken.  It's a compromise.  I know what you
mean about being able to do many things with one hand on the E-1.
With the E-330 I sometimes feel like Koko as I press buttons on the
left side with my thumb.  But I really like the layout and how neatly
the info button works to toggle up settings on the LCD.  I seem to get
to what I want very quickly.

>  Not a fatal problem, but that sort of thing is noticeable. I've not
> tried using the E-330 in full manual mode yet, but I don't see how it
> would be a very pleasant experience as it only has one control dial to
> set with.

I'm actually pleased with M mode.  It involves getting used to the
"re-purposing" (Chris B. with thrash me for that word) of the exp.
comp. button, but it seems no worse than working the two dials on the
E-1, and it's perhaps easier in the long run.

>  (other gripes, in case anyone knows the answer -- I wish it were
> easier to switch into/out of 10x zoom mode in live view B, it would be
> nice to have some sort of one-touch mode, rather than needing to hit
> INFO until I get to the right overlay.

Have you gotten the 1.2 firmware update?  This effectively allows you
to force AF with a touch of the AEL button in LV B mode.  Then touch
of the OK button gets you right to 10x, usually with perfect focus
already accomplished. Or am I misunderstanding?  You do need to hit
the INFO button at least once to get the "green rectangle" overlay,
but you shouldn't have to do that again unless you change the overlay
back.

>  I wish live view boost wasn't buried on a secondary page of menus,
> because I do change my mind about wanting it turned on more often than
> I'd expected.

I actually had to look that one up, as I haven't used it yet.  I
suppose there is always the possibility of dedicating one of the two
reset modes to including the boost feature and other features you
might want under those circumstances like anti-shock (or not).  I
don't use the reset/custom modes enough on the E-1 and there are a lot
of them, whereas on the E-330 there are possibly not enough of them.

>  I wish that when I viewed images in playback mode, I actually saw the
> image I'd taken, rather than a lower-res, low quality jpeg version of
> the image. It's normally okay, but the jpeg artifacts can occasionally
> make it difficult to tell if I really did get focus okay or not.)

I think up to 8x is pretty good.  Beyond that it's a pig in a poke.
But OMG the LCD is so great,  3-4x is often enough!

Joel W.