[OM] Re: OM to E compatibility issues

Subject: [OM] Re: OM to E compatibility issues
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 07:19:20 -0500
At some point, an E-lens will require more resolving power than its OM
equivalent as the number of pixels in the small sensor continues to
increase.  I don't think 8MP in a 4/3 sensor already exceeds the
capability of OM lenses but it might.  I don't think anyone here has
conducted an actual test.  It would be interesting since there are
reports of certain Canon lenses not being up to the task of resolving to
the 16MP of the 1Ds Mark II or possibly even the 13MP of the 5D.

As to the OM flashes, you can use them in manual mode or normal auto
mode but you won't have any TTL available.  But, in my opinion, with a
digital camera there is almost no need of flash automation.  A test
shot, exposure review and a bit of adjustment will produce a better
result than any TTL flash.  If you're in a hurry just turn the flash to
its normal auto mode which generally does almost as well as TTL.  With a
little more time you can also adjust from that base auto mode shot.

I think everyone would be better served by buying low cost, powerful
flash units (the T-32 qualifies for that today) and investing the
difference in a good flash meter if you're going to do multi-flash
photography or want a good fill flash measurement.  Meters such as my
Sekonic L-358 will report the percentage of flash vs. ambient and a
20-30% flash contribution to the total gives a perfect fill flash.

Chuck Norcutt