[OM] Re: FL40 and C8080

Subject: [OM] Re: FL40 and C8080
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 01:31:09 +0800
On 09/01/07, Jeff Keller <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A Quantum battery pack probably isn't a very good match for a C8080.
> Their battery packs are fairly large and heavy. They make a turbo 2x2
> battery pack that powers both the camera and a flash.

In either case, aren't they the shoulder sling type?

They use
> different cables with apparently a resistor or something built into it
> to set the correct voltage for each of the many cameras and flashes
> the battery pack will work with.

Is the correct voltage something that we set manually or is it predefined
for the camera that the power pack is intended for use with? Or I suppose
documentation is included for the models it is compatible in use with...?

The newer Quantum power packs
> probably use NiMH batteries. I like the older sealed lead batteries
> which seem to hold up to abuse better.

Problem with NiMH is the memory effect. I was hoping that they might have
lithium-ion based, which I would prefer.

If you had a Quantum battery pack that you were already using and were
> able to "do it yourself", it would probalby be worth the effort to
> adapt it to a C5060 or 8080. I doubt anyone would buy one of their
> battery packs specifically for use with a small camera.

The thing about these "small" cameras is that they're damn good little
cameras that I use professionally and produced the kind of results that, to
be honest, exceeded my expectations so long as you know how to work around
their obvious limitations. I have no illusions about what their limitations
are especially when compared to DSLRs but quite honestly I have not really
come across THE DSLR that I would part with my cash, Olympus or no-Olympus.
And that's being quite frank - and sad - about it. But of course that's
another topic altogether.

Their battery packs are excellent at giving you the power to shoot
> high powered flashes with rapid recycling for perhaps 500 shots or
> even more if you keep the flash power set low.

So I guess if I should at closer subject distances or avoid Manual Full
power mode, I should be alright...?

A small elderly asian home owner tried to help me after I had taken
> pictures of his home. He grabbed my "flash suitcase" to lift it over
> the front door threshold.  I was afraid he was going to have a heart
> attack.

Appreciate your help, Jeff. Thank you again.

K.

-jeff

> On 1/8/07, khen lim <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > 5) Does Quantum make a power pack for the C8080 that provides power to
> the
> > camera AND the FL40 concurrently? Is this power pack rechargeable? Is
> this
> > power pack usable on the Camedia C5060 as well?
> >
> > K.
> >

> > --
> > Khen Lim

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com