[OM] Re: Worrying when you purchase a new lens

Subject: [OM] Re: Worrying when you purchase a new lens
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 10:19:37 -0800
I don't know, but I think that some of this stuff is just idle
chatter. All you have to do is go to photodo.com and look at some of
their old MTF scores to see that these third party lens lines have
always produced about as many real dogs as their better ones. Whether
that is due to bad design or due to quality control is an unanswered
question. It is nothing new though.

On the other hand lenses have gone from fairly simple and sturdy
devices to high tech devices where low mass is important for tiny AF
motors and anti-shake elements. It does seem to me that lens makers
that became infamous for using aluminum foil pressed into plastic
focusing threads are not the ones to take the extra measures that
would protect the delicate internal parts of a lens in the event that
the delivery box is thrown into the back of the truck.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA