[OM] Re: FL40 and C8080

Subject: [OM] Re: FL40 and C8080
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 13:24:44 -0500
You're thinking of NiCad when it comes to memory effect.  NiMH don't
have a memory effect but they do self-discharge at the pretty alarming
rate of 2-3% per day.  You can't let them sit on the shelf for two weeks
and expect to use them without recharging.  Recharging and planning the
time for it has to become habit.

For a Quantum Turbo compatible power pack at 1/3 the price see:
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=294330&is=REG&addedTroughType=search>
It has its own charger and uses a user interchangeable lead acid
Panasonic type VHS camcorder battery that can be bought for about $20 if
you'd like to carry a spare.  Initially, I planned to buy a spare but
I've only ever run the battery down once during an event after about 6
hours and some 300-400 shots.  Since there was only about 10 minutes
left before the event was over I put some AA's in the flash and took
another few shots to finish up.  Back then I was shooting the event at
ISO 100.  Today I'd use ISO 400 and the battery would last a lot longer
than it did then.  This pack will accept any Quantum Turbo flash power
cable.

Chuck Norcutt