[OM] Re: FL40 and C8080

Subject: [OM] Re: FL40 and C8080
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 04:25:46 +0800
On 09/01/07, Richard Ociepka <ociepka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> khen lim wrote:
> >
> > I'm assuming that I can do a One-Touch WB without the FL40 of course.
> And
> > then install the FL40 on the C8080 and use it with the WB setting I had
> > established. Can I then assume that the FL40's output quality will not
> > affect my WB setting?
>
> Aren't you setting the WB for your light source?
> Once you turn on the flash the light source is now the flash.
> If I set a custom WB for a florescent light source and then turn on the
> flash the color will be all screwed up.
> But what an effect.

Haha....Richard, I use the One-Touch WB in admittedly unusual ways and I get
some stunning results. Contrary to what is expected of us to do, I use the
OTWB on less-than-white coloured surfaces. Short of dark browns or any dark
hues, which the OTWB will not register, you can actually get the C8080 to
scan even yellow, biege, light blue etc etc to intentionally manipulate it
to read differently. I have had tremendous fun realising the latitude that
the C8080 offers and I do the same with the E-300 as well.

> OK, thanks. One question - is there any accessory out there that allows me
> > to connect the C8080/C5060 to the FL40 off-camera via some kind of
> hotshoe
> > connecting cord?
>
> You can use the flash with the hotshoe flash cable FL-CB05. OK, great.
> Thanks.
>
> > Also would you consider using the FL40 on the C8080 for macro work?
>
> It works great in S-Macro mode. The hot shoe is still active in S-Macro
> mode. Ah! That's the answer I was hoping for. Excellent.
>
> > Do you think that the FL40's smallest manual fraction power mode is
> small
> > enough for macrophotography?
>
> The auto and TTL modes compensate really well. Oh, I see....at 6cm even???
>
> Add a diffuser and/or a reflector and it works great. Geez, finding
> dinosaur claws in this neck of the woods is far easier than coming across a
> preowned FL40 for sale let alone the accessories. I was thinking of doing
> weird things like putting a Polaroid or RayBan sunglasses in front of the
> FL40's flash panel to cut down the output. These two brands - provided one
> chooses the right models - come with Neutral Density glass.

Thanks for your time, Richard.

Dick

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx