[OM] Re: [OT] Calling Tim - Cheap radio slaves and the C 540EZ

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Calling Tim - Cheap radio slaves and the C 540EZ
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 08:04:52 -0500
Thanks much.  I figured it was probably the low voltage of the flash but
didn't know why.  Now I know why but don't really understand it.  :-)

It'll probably take me a month of Sundays to get around to doing it but
I was intrigued by stringing a bunch of diodes together to determine the
actual trigger point.  I may do that some time.

While interesting, I'm not sure it would be worthwhile to build
something to reliably trigger the Canyon when I've got other flashes
that do work.  The only reason I bought the Canyon was for its autofocus
assist light with on-camera flash.

As to the origins of the electronics in these cheap Chinese radio slaves
I suspect that they are derived from garage door openers.  The size of
the transmitter PC board and the use of a 12 volt 23A battery looks like
a near duplicate of my circa 1996 Lift-Master garage door opener.

Chuck Norcutt