[OM] Re: FL40 and C8080

Subject: [OM] Re: FL40 and C8080
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 00:46:59 +0800
On 09/01/07, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think I'll stick with my Minolta A1.  Compared to the C5060, for
> example, it has a 28-200/2.8-3.5 equivalent lens vs. 27-110/2.8-4.8 so
> it's both longer and faster.

You're right about the A1 having a longer focal length range and at times I
just wished I could stretch out to 200mm. I have always maintained that
28-200mm is the most usable stretch that suits me best but having said that,
I don't find I really go all the way out to 200mm all that much. In any case
even if I occasionally have that need, I can't. So I make do with what I
have.
The C5060's handling is excellent although not as good as the C8080. As for
the A1, I have not used it; so I cannot comment. With both cameras, I can be
extremely fast in getting what I want, do my multispot (usually anywhere
from 2 to 4, I find), position and shoot and by the time I've done half a
dozen, I find the others using their DSLR cameras have completed one if not
two frames. I attribute this quickness to beautiful handling, at least some
anyway. I really enjoy using both these cameras because the designs are
really well thought out. My two cents worth here.

It has a larger sensor with 50% more
> surface area for less noise, ISO range to 800 vs 400.

Again correct. This is one limitation that can be frustrating.I was in a
previous assignment not too long ago when I was hankering for something
higher than ISO400 but couldn't.

 It has moving
> sensor image stabilization good for about 2 stops,

I'm not too concerned about this issue. With either camera, there is very
little need for it because the cameras are so comfortable to handle that I
find even shooting at 1/8 second perfectly fine and the images I have been
getting are making my clients quite happy. Maybe I have very lenient clients
but all told, I'm one of those people who think that image stabilisation
technologies are a trifle bit overrated. Heck, I'm not interested in
starting a heated debate here....just wanna say that for me, I'm fine
without one.

a PC connection as
> well as a hot shoe with both protected to 400 volts,

PC socket would be good. Yes, agreed.

an intervalometer
> for time lapse recording,

I can live without this. Hardly use it and I'm not interested in paying for
it either.

and a live histogram.

I work around this issue.....difficult at the moment to find a camera that
has ALL that I need or want.

  It has a spot meter
> whose measurement point can be moved anywhere on the image but it does
> not do multi-spot averaging.

Thanks but I can do the moving myself. It's also faster when I decide where
to point and meter. Have been doing it for years on the OM-3/OM-4 and I
really don't need anything more complicated. It's really nice as it is.

  However, with the live histogram I'm not
> sure the multi-spot averaging would buy much of any additional function.

I'd rather have multispot because I don't have to refer to anything that
takes me away from my subject or scene. It's much faster this way.

I just wish I could have all this in a full frame DSLR.

> Chuck Norcutt
>

> khen lim wrote:
> > Yes, I have access to all the E-series models but frankly I prefer to
> wait
> > it out now. What I am looking for, nothing out there currently fits the
> bill
> > but something will crop up. Here's my take on what I have been using of
> > late:
> >
> > E-300: Nice but no multispot
> > E-330: LiveView is great but not as good as C-5060 and no multispot
> > E-1: Love everything about it but no LiveView
> > E-500: Nothing there I need to be honest, nice as it is but it's not for
> me
> > E-400: Very impressive little bugger, love the size, feels like a
> lodestone
> > in my hands but no LiveView, no multispot (or did I miss finding it???)
> >
> > C-5060: Amazes me everyday, LiveView, multispot, pity lens not
> > interchangeable
> > C-8080: LiveView not as flexible as C-5060 but built like a tank,
> handles
> > supremely, multispot is beautiful to use, love it
> >
> > Any comments? Love to hear what others might have to say.
> >
> > K.

> that,
> >> around
> >> limitations
> >> really
> >> no-Olympus.
> that's
> >>
> >> Khen, how then did you come to possess the E-300...on loan from
> Olympus?
> >>
> >> Dick

> >> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> >> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx