[OM] Re: DZ 8mm?

Subject: [OM] Re: DZ 8mm?
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 20:20:19 -0700
Johnny Johnson wrote:
> I especially like the colors - are they straight out of the box
> or did you adjust them in post processing?

  Straight from the camera, auto white balance. It actually puts a
noticeable strain on the white balance with so much of the world in shot
-- you can't really see it from the ones I posted, but in some of the
other ones at that time the colour of the snow varies noticeably
depending on how much sky is in shot. It never looks wrong, it just
looks different to other ones. (and, yes, I should be shooting RAW, I know).

  > I've never owned a fisheye lens so what are the things to look out
> for when using one for landscapes?  I'd think that you'd want to keep
> the camera relatively level and watch out for vertical objects toward
> the edge of the frame (or maybe avoid them altogether).  Also,
> looking at your shots, it seems that it's best to keep the horizon
> close to the center of the frame which kinda limits the composition.

  That's pretty much it, actually. As long as the horizon goes through
the center of the image, it won't be curved (that, and the vertical
centerline, are the only bits that aren't).

  Yes, it does restrict composition -- I may just have been lucky with
shots by the riverside where the horizon isn't all that straight in the
first place, and it's not too difficult to avoid trees bending over at
the sides.

Wayne wrote:
 >How do you find the Peleng for focussing ?  Mine seems to have quite a
 >large amount of focussing ring movement for not much change in focus,
 >also the focussing scale is wrong (on the E-300 with Nikon adapter,
 >seems ok on the F2) so I can't just scale focus it as I'd like too.

  I'm not sure about the focus scale, to be honest -- I was using on a
330, so I was focussing on the screen. Setting it to hyperfocal-for-f4
but stopped down to f5.6 worked fine, so I just did that and left it
alone afterwards for most things; closeup I used live view. The
relationship between change in focus distance and amount of turn _is_
peculiar, though.

  (because the seller I bought mine from doesn't seem to know what
they're doing, I only have a 4/3 adapter so can't test it on an OM body
-- they sent me an "OM" adapter, but it doesn't have a locking pin so
the lens just spins on the front of the camera, which makes it amazingly
difficult to focus, and also the flanges aren't the right size so if I
spin it to the wrong place it falls off).

  -- dan