[OM] Re: Holiday snaps...

Subject: [OM] Re: Holiday snaps...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 03:39:45 -0800
Martyn Smoothy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Posted a few pics from a trip to Venice last year. Taken on the same visit
> as my Oly Odyssey photos, but these are in colour for a change.
> OM-4Ti, zuiko 21mm f3.5 & Velvia 50.
> Hope they may be of interest to some -
> http://archaeoimages.com/Venice-02/index.html.

Thanks for a lovely tour of a place I hope to visit in person one day.

Lots of good quality holiday snaps that give a feel of the place and
many that rise above snaps. I'm particularly taken with #2 as an
abstract pattern.

As with Chris's images that I just blathered about, I was fascinated
with some of yours and drawn to play with them
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Smoothy/VeniceColor/>.

One particular interest was in perspective distortion, whole sets of
buildings leaning at drunken angles, in a few cases. I learned that my
eye doesn't like too much of that, but also doesn't like full
correction. Something short of perfect rectilinearity, good, but still
with a hint of the angle of view, seemed to most satisfy to me.

I was also very interested in the possibilities of reviving the facades
of buildings in shade. As most of my photography of travel locatoins
also suffers from lighting limitations over which I have no control
short of coming back and spending real time at it, I'm interested in how
well those limitations can be overcome in post. Some pleased me a great
deal, others were less successful.

It looked to me like the metering was fooled in the shot from the boat
by the big expanse of bright cover and underexposed the primary subject
and the water. And so on.....

Moose