[OM] Re: Photo Opertunities...

Subject: [OM] Re: Photo Opertunities...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:25:16 -0800
Patrick Moore wrote:
> 'ello all...
>
> Right,  it appears I'll be in California in february for a while .. I'm
> attending a conference in Monterey from the 17th-21st, but after that it's
> probably I'll end up in San Francisco. (maybe up to the 26th unsure yet..)
>
> Anyway,  this is a gloriously global list, and I was wondering what people
> would suggest to pick out from these places while I'm out there,  what to
> see and what to do!

The Monterey Bay area is full of natural beauty, but to my mind, there
are two must sees that rise above the rest.

Much of the coast is beautiful there and the famous 17 mile drive is
very scenic, but nothing is like Pt Lobos, a State Park just South of
Monterey. I read a quote by some famous person saying it is one of the
most spectacular meeting of land and sea in the world. It would be
spectacular anyway, above sea level, but something about the underwater
configuration, currents, whatever can make for awe-inspiring displays in
the water too.

Weather in late Feb. is just pot luck. You could get relatively mild and
calm between storms or a full gale. Winter weather between storms on
this coast can be nicer that foggy days in the height of summer. Short
of a gale or at the tail end of one, if you don't mind a bit of cold and
damp, can be so damn spectacular you won't believe it. Between storms,
it's still gorgeous. This is the one place where I've taken visitors and
had to almost literally drag them away to avoid missing their planes.

The second place is the Monterey Bay Aquarium. A truly great aquarium in
so many ways, and the jellyfish section is unlike anything else in the
world.

Next best place, if you love natural beauty and have the means for a bit
of a drive, is the Big Sur coast to the south, pure magic. Stop to shop
and eat at Nepenthe.

Next best place if you like wandering, shopping and eating is Carmel, a
village connected to Monterey to the South. Parts of Monterey are quite
nice for this, but not as nice as Carmel.

Breakfast, no contest, the Old Monterey Cafe. Pretty good Mexican food
in a nice setting, El Palomar. Seafood on the wharf, Cafe Fina. There
are lots of good restaurants in the area, I just happen to remember
these two from May. The dining room in the aquarium has pretty good food
and if you can get a table in one of the bay windows, spectacular views.
I've seen a mother sea otter with cub from there.

If you go up the coast to get to SF, which I recommend if the weather is
ok, and lunch or dinner time happens along about Half Moon Bay, try the
It's Italia Pizzeria, which is not what you would think from the name.
Off the main road, but near the junction, ask the way. I've been known
to time my trip home to be there at dinner time.

The SF area has so many wonderful attractions that even those who have
been here forever only know a modest part. A random few of my favorites:
If you love natural beauty and the weather stinks, you could do worse
than a visit to the Conservatory/Hall of Flowers in Golden Gate Park,
indoors, warm (steam heat to keep the tropicals happy) and beautiful
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/GGPark/Flowers/index.htm>. Then if the
weather still stinks and you have an umbrella, the walk to the newly
recreated De Young Museum is short. If it isn't raining, a visit to the
construction (Sky Space?) hidden at the back of the De Young sculpture
garden (the garden is free) is magical
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/GGPark/Scenics/pages/SC17.htm>. Don't
forget to try toning, humming, singing inside. Food at the museum cafe
ranges form quite good to wonderful. Had a soup to die for there last visit.

If weather kept you away from Pt Lobos (the only valid excuse, and it
better be pretty bad weather) or you want even more wonderful coastal
Calif., Pt. Reyes National Seashore. My favorite walk there is the short
trail to Abbot's Lagoon. I've seen innumerable birds, jackrabbits,
Calif. Quail, weasel, Tule Elk and even a muskrat there. (Supposed to be
way outside the range, but the muskrat doesn't care.) McClure's beach
trail is also wonderful, even in winter, if it isn't actively storming.
I've been sprinkled on there and still loved it.

Never seen real redwoods and have half a day? Muir Woods. The really
cool ones are more like a days drive to get to, but Muir Woods is very fine.
> Also,  if anyone happens to be in the area and fancies meeting up I'd love
> the opportunity to Names & TOPE 1s to people in the flesh.

I do like getting together with other ZA members for iamge making,
libations, food.... Last furriner was Thomas, and it's been a while. I'm
in Berkeley, across the bay to the East from SF. Let me know when your
SF plans firm up.

Moose