[OM] Re: Advice needed: list transaction going poorly

Subject: [OM] Re: Advice needed: list transaction going poorly
From: pdmphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 01:32:27 +0000
I'm the same way when I buy elsewhere (questions, questions, pictures,
pictures), but I've always been more relaxed here on the list. Maybe I'm wrong,
but I've always considered the list to be more of a safe haven when buying.
That works both ways for me. I've sold my share of OM lenses here. As a
courtesy to list members I try to be conservative in my rating and am up-front
about anything unusual or non-standard. If you are dissatisfied with anything I
sell, then you have the option to return it for a prompt and courteous refund.
I thought that's how it's supposed to work around here?
Adjectives? No mention was made of anything except some wear on the aperture
ring, which if you know OM lenses almost all have after some use. This lens has
much more than that on the aperture ring, and other obvious cosmetic (not to
mention the mechanical) issues. I question that if someone didn't notice an
issue when they put a Pentax K cap (which reads Sigma for Pentax K on the
outside) on an OM lens, then maybe they didn't notice a wiggle in the focus
ring too? You can force a Pentax K cap on the back of any OM lens, but not
without unusual effort, and it still doesn't sit right on the lens.
I have shipped many, many lenses in the last few years (had to sell all my 35mm
Minolta AF stuff a couple years back) and the packaging on this lens was not
sufficient to protect the lens. It is possible the lens was damaged in
shipping. But it can't be blamed on USPS. All shipping companies throw packages
around in transit, and that needs to be considered when shipping. I find the
*free* small square (8x8x8inch?) USPS Priority Mail boxes perfect for lenses
like the smaller Zuiko's. Wrap the lens tightly in a big ball of bubble wrap,
put it in the box, and then pack the box with Styrofoam peanuts. The box will
have plenty of "crush zone" and if it takes an impact hard enough to damage the
lens, the box/peanuts/bubble wrap will show it.
I have been following Zuiko 50/1.2's for a while and I think it's incorrect to
say they have been going for over $300. Sure, the one like new in box on ebay
just went for $380 - but that is an exception not the rule. For one, I have
never seen another sold in that condition. I have seen a good share go for less
than $250 in the last year - and while they weren't like new, they were all in
much, much better condition than the one I received. Condition is everything
when it comes to used lenses. That's not news to anyone here is it?
Paul

From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>