[OM] Re: Holiday snaps...

Subject: [OM] Re: Holiday snaps...
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 22:09:06 -0500
Phew! I think one thing, and then I recall that days, or even hours,
after I pulled the trigger, I don't have a photographic memory of
what I saw. I do, however, have a photograph. Sometimes customers
grill me about digital manipulation, and I don't deny it happens. "I
get it in the computer and I mess with it until it looks about like
what I saw." I suppose I should amend that to "I get it in the
computer and mess with it until it looks about like what I remember I
saw," or "what I wished I'd seen," or something else divorced from
the absolutes of the moment.

But then I can go all wu-wu and wonder if there were actual absolutes
in the moment. I'm old. My eyes see differently. My memory has a lot
of extra programming to slog through when looking for the picture in
the capture. Puts me in mind of matrix metering, where bazillions of
image components are programmed into the camera to help it pull the
correct exposure out of its electronic ass . . . we humans have all
those components loose in our heads, too. And we pull them together
to make a picture out of a whole pile of pixels.

Damn, Winsor, I didn't need to have all this stuff running around in
my head tonight! <g>

--Bob