[OM] Re: Advice needed: list transaction going poorly

Subject: [OM] Re: Advice needed: list transaction going poorly
From: Doug Smith <dhsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 12:05:52 -0500
On Thu January 11 2007 3:09 pm, ScottGee1 wrote:
> I need some advice about a transaction for one of the items I posted
> FS on the list last week.  It was the first time I've offered anything
> for sale here.  To this point, I've only bought.
>
> My hope is to offer a neutral overview of what occurred.  Here's the
>
> original description of the item:

snip of Scott's view of transaction

>From your description, as a buyer I'd expect a lense that I could take
photographs with, that the lens wasn't a fungus farm or hadn't been dropped
in a mud puddle. I have no feel if the price was good, bad or indifferent.
If I was buying that lense and detailed condition of the lens was important
to me to pay the price asked,  I'd have asked for photos and would have asked
very very detailed questions. Questions such as "what do you mean by wear?"

> Buyer received the lens on January 8 and emailed me on the 9th, to wit:

Snipped Paul's view of transaction

> He asked for either a full refund or $75 toward repair of the lens.
>
> I was very surprised as I have not had extensive experience with OM
> lenses but the more I thought about it, the mechanical problems he
> described simply didn't square with my use of the lens so I concluded
> it must have been damaged in shipping.  I've used it quite happily
> without any problems and offered to check with my local, long-term
> service person about repair.

You discounted the possibility that you and the buyer have very different
views about what makes up a "problem".

> To reassure him, I said he could choose either a complete refund or
> I'd credit the $75 he requested.  I also asked for a bit of time to
> find out what USPS would do since it was likely damaged in shipping
> and I had paid for insurance.

I think you made a mistake here. Before I had let him know which solution was
ok with me I would have told him that I was going to explore what options I
had with the post office and would get back to him in a few days in case it
took longer to get answers than I anticipated.

When doing a transaction with a list member ( I done at least 3 one with a
gentleman in Canada, John H, and Tom Scales. all 3 went beyond good) I feel I
gain 4 things. I know that the person is real. In other words most likely my
money isn't going to disappear with me seeing neither my money or goods.
There is a good chance that the person knows what they have. A list member
will most likely know the difference between a zuiko lens and a OM mount
lens. Finally the last advantage is that the list member will offer some kind
of solution or compromise to the disagreement. I also feel that my chances of
the intentionally lying to me is reduced. There is no guarantee that the two
parties will be totally happy with the transaction.

Scott based on your actions here I'd have no problem buying something from
you. Paul requested a solution you agreed, maybe a little too quickly before
you explored your options, he accepted one of them. There is no chance that
neutral  parties can examine the lens both before and after the sale and
determine what really was situation. I'd recommend that you become a little
more detailed up front about  how you are willing make a unhappy customer
happier.

Paul, since condition is really important to you as a buyer, I'd always get
photos so that I could make the condition determination and not the seller,
although mechanical condition would be tough. I'd also be more accommodating
to the seller as far as saving packaging and giving him time to explore his
options.

Whether I am a buyer or sell I take into account the chance that deal will not
work out as planned. If I'm buying and I figure that 1 in 10 transactions
will be bad I then have to pay 10% less other stuff to account for the bad
deals. As a seller I have to get 10% than I would have to otherwise.

The bottom line is that neither one of you are happy with how the transaction
turned out. Both of you reached a point that you can live with. Hopefully you
both learned a little and we learned a little. I can't see where outside
people(list)  can pass judge really negative judgment on either of you. I
wish you better luck on your next transactions.