[OM] Re: Bean Bag fillers?

Subject: [OM] Re: Bean Bag fillers?
From: Dean Hansen <hanse112@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 22:01:40 -0600
Jay recently posted:
This will be an easy bag job for the wife.  She makes corn bags,
elongated sacks
filled with feed corn.  You pop them in the microwave and voila, portable
heating pad.

My wife used a similar warming sack, filled with buckwheat grains.  One
evening she put it in the microwave, brought it into bed to help warm
the bed up (I was, of course, dutifully going through the OM Digest at
the time).  When I came to bed she asked me to put the sack in the
bathroom because it smelled a bit strong.  So I placed it on a piece of
cardboard in our bathroom (we were doing a major remodeling at the time
and had the hallway smoke alarm removed), climbed into bed, and went to
sleep.  At about 2AM I was awakend by someone shining a light on our
bedroom window.  I got up, looked outside, and saw a guy from the local
gas company in our yard, looking around with a flashlight.  What
happened was that the smell from the sack was from a smoldering fire,
and after three hours the sack had caught the cardboard in the bathroom
on fire.  Our renters (we're in a duplex) smelled the smoke, called 911,
and an ambulance, fire truck, and police car roared up.  Here's the
kicker:  both my wife and I slept through this!  The emergency vehicles
then left, without awakening us!
    Advice:  be very careful with those corn-filled sacks.  Don't EVER
bring one to bed to warm things up.  And don't, even during major
remodeling, go without a smoke detector!!!  I installed 5 interconnected
smoke alarms after this incident.  You guys could have lost your
resident entomologist.
Dean

Oh, did I mention, don't ever go without a smoke detector?
Sorry, no OM content.