[OM] Re: 750mm f6 Catadioptic

Subject: [OM] Re: 750mm f6 Catadioptic
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 08:26:01 -0500
This reminds me that I have an Orion 500mm f/5.6 mirror lens/spotting
scope that I've almost never used.  It's really a spotting scope with a
T-mount option for use as a lens.  I put it on the the OM-2s a number of
years ago, took a couple of shots and noted that it takes decidedly low
contrast photos due to the large size of the secondary mirror.  Because
of the contrast issue I've never even paid attention to its resolving power.

I'd almost completely forgotten about this scope as a lens until Moose
made a comment the other day about the ease of boosting contrast in
digital images.  I think the last time I used that lens I had no such
thing as digital images or software to process them and it took Moose's
comment to suddenly make the association.  Well, I just happened to get
a bargain priced, used Canyon T-mount recently (if I could only find it)
so maybe I'll give this lens a whirl again.  At f/5.6 I may actually be
able to focus it.

Chuck Norcutt