[OM] Re: Alternative to ICE4 for B&W Negative

Subject: [OM] Re: Alternative to ICE4 for B&W Negative
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 20:10:21 -0600
Who's denigrating?  I was just pointing out that PS has a dust and
scratches filter which works about as well as a piece of dedicated
software I have used (which I didn't mention, though now I will).  The
software was a freebie that Polaroid provided for owners of its film
scanners when ICE first arrived.  ICE in Nik*n scanners pretty much
did Polaroid in and they really couldn't make the case that software
was a reasonable alterative to ICE and save the scanner business
because it just didn't work as well, as I understand it.  I've never
has a scanner with ICE. I only used the Polaroid software a couple
times and never found the result acceptable.

The advantage of using what PS offers is that you don't have to apply
it to the work image.  You can use a selection tool and treat the part
in isolation.

I agree with your last sentence.

Joel W.

On 1/13/07, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm not sure I'd denigrate software methods in this case until it's been
> tried.  Dust and scratch removal software is looking for high contrast
> areas.  If it's an old, B&W negative that has rather low contrast to
> begin with the scanner just might make the scratches stand out enough to
> be recognized.  I wouldn't hold out lots of hope but it just might work
> or work well enough if not aggressively applied.
>
> It's also quite possible that the ICE may work well enough to make a
> difference.  Nothing to lose by trying.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>
> Joel Wilcox wrote:
> > Same methods that minimize scratches in a darkroom work with a
> > scanner.  Try nose goo or Edwal No Scratch.  Obviously you have to be
> > careful not to let the surface touch anything and cleaning of the neg
> > before and after is a must (and a bit of a pain).
> >
> > However, make a trial scan before applying anything to a neg.  The
> > scan might not be a bad as you anticipate.
> >
> > Photoshop has a dust and scratches filter which is as good (or bad) as
> > software dust and scratches removal alternatives.  Sometimes you can
> > select the area of the scratch and apply the filter just to that area.
> >  Works OK mainly if it is a less important or background area of the
> > photo.
> >
> > Joel W.
> >
> > On 1/13/07, S Revlis <srevlis3@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> I've got a pile of never printed B&W negatives from my father's time with
> >> the US Army in Europe in WWII.
snip