[OM] Re: OM 180/2.8 bokeh praised at RFF

Subject: [OM] Re: OM 180/2.8 bokeh praised at RFF
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 21:20:51 -0800
C.H.Ling wrote:
> To me, the result is totally unacceptable, the thickness of "gap" is
> irregular.
Easy there, pardner. If you want perfection, you need another lens or to
do some pixel level work. In the context of even a very large print, any
person who had never seen the CA would never see anything wrong. It just
looks like the chrome piece isn't evenly in the body aperture on a cab.
Cabs in HK are all undamaged? The shadow and bright reflection on the
chrome piece suggest it may actually have been pulled out and slightly
bent, making a thicker shadow where it has pulled slightly away from the
body quite natural. Who can tell? There is also a subtle increase in the
shadows within the Toyota logo that I  don't think even a gallery goer -
without the original for comparison - would ever notice.

In the context of an art print, I would do something more careful and
detailed. In this one, I was just trying something that would handle the
CA in a way that made it a non-issue in the context of the subject
without any detail work.

> There is no different in term of overall quality,
A matter of opinion, and it's your image, so you win by definition.
Nevertheless, to my taste, something that looks like shadow is, while
not perfect, better that an obviously wrong color.

> I would just save the time of such manual touch up.
This wasn't manual, I never touched a brush, clone, eraser or other
detail tool. If I had, you may be sure the shadow would have been of
even width.

> This is just an example, I think the
> most popular problem people seen is color fringe on the leaves with white
> sky as background just like the Canon 24-120 IS L photo in dpreview.
I agree that that is where it is most often an obvious problem, but
that's not what you presented. I'm pretty pragmatic, and suit my work to
the specific problem and context at hand. The context here is a very
small part of a very complex image.

> How long you think it will take to correct such photo?
Not much longer than your sample, the way I did it. How it would look is
something, on the other hand, I don't know without trying. Probably not
very good.

> I perfer to get a lens like the DZ7-14 which is free from this problem.

I certainly agree!

Moose