[OM] Re: Olympus C 8080

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus C 8080
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 08:07:22 -0600
On 1/10/07, khen lim <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm curious if anyone has ever used the C8080 with the available conversion
> lenses. I'd love to hear what the comments are? As in...
>
> a) Were there any noticeable definition drop-offs at the edges?
> b) With the wide converter (assuming there is one), was the barrel
> distortion more pronounced?
> c) What about light dropoffs when the tele converter is used?
> d) Is there a macro converter available and if so, how much closer do you
> get and what is the magnification ratio?

Sorry, I'm slow in responding ...

I have Olympus' tele converter (= 200mm FF) and the wide converter
(=21mm FF) for the C8080.

I have never noted any fall off of quality whatsoever with the
converters.  There must be some light dropoff, but it was never
apparent to me so I never thought about it.

I have not noticed barrel distortion, though I've never used it to
photograph the ocean, etc.  In general, my subjective sense is that
the wide converter produces a more distorted image than the 21/3.5,
but I haven't attempted any kind of fair comparison.

The TCs don't contribute to any special macro capabilities.  In fact,
though you can zoom the lens, the TCs work as intended in only one
position of the camera lens.  The C8080 native supermacro feature gets
so close I can scarcely ever use it for anything I tend to shoot, so I
can't imagine why I would want to get closer even if I could.

Sorry, this is not a very exacting report.  My subjective sense is
that I would not hesitate to use the teleconverters in any situation I
would use the camera itself without them.  They seem completely
designed to extend the lens, which as we know is one the best ever
made for this kind of application.  One thing that is both good and
bad is that they are big!  The wide converter is like screwing the
front element of a 24/3.5 on the front and has all the subsequent
awkwardness.  The housings of both converters are plastic -- no
surprise there -- something of a mismatch to the weight of the glass
itself, but nicely made and strong.  The tele TC got away from me once
and took a tumble and was none the worse but for a little scratch in
the plastic.

Joel W.