[OM] Re: The Boss has spoken: compact/robust solution required: P&S guru

Subject: [OM] Re: The Boss has spoken: compact/robust solution required: P&S gurus please help
From: "Orin Keplinger" <orink@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 09:54:05 -0600
Hi, Mike:

    I usually feel overshadowed by the expertise in this group, but I would
advocate something like the Olympus 720SW in the absence of any better
advice that may well be forthcoming. I do a fair amount of sailing and
canoeing and bought the 720 this summer because I wanted to start
sailboarding. I wrecked an OM stylus clamshell digital doing a rescue off a
sailboat about five years ago. I didn't remember the camera in my pocket
until I was in the air and about to hit the water...oh, well.

    I really like its compact size and features. I have the OM1,2,4s and
have a Nk S6 compact digital that I bought before I saw the 720 but when I
saw the 720 was waterproof to 10 feet I bought it as well. It has become my
goto compact digital because of this waterproof feature alone, although I am
very happy with how its other features stack up with the competition.

    Your ziplock bag idea is excellent and is what I do as well. I use the
double-wide, heavy plastic zip locks for any cameras I carry or pack. I am
also very pleased with my waterproof map and gear bags that I get from
Altrec http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/6305/
These bags are a bit tricky to open but are the best bags I have seen for
water -proofness and toughness in either the small, camera, GPS-radio size
or the larger gear sizes. The company also makes a clear plastic version in
several of the sizes.

    Olympus has a nice FAQ page on the 720 at
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_support_faqs.asp?id=1225#top
Let us hear from you on your final choice... and bring on the Pics!!
As Ever,
Orin Keplinger
near Chicago
orink@xxxxxxx