[OM] Flash indicator question, OM-2s

Subject: [OM] Flash indicator question, OM-2s
From: "Peter Bell" <peter.bell@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 02:03:24 -0500
I have a question regarding the flash indicator readings in the viewfinder
of my OM-2s. I use an OM dedicated Sunpak 266d unit. I was under the
impression that when I switch the flash to the TTL setting with my camera on
auto, I am free to choose the aperture, and the camera will tell the flash
when to shut off, thus giving me a correctly exposed image. I understand
that when the correct exposure is acheived, the flash indicator LED in the
viewfinder is supposed to flicker. After some experimentation, I've found
that not all aperture settings will produce a flickering flash indicator.
Indoors, its mostly f/11, f/8 and f/5.6 that will produce a flickering LED.
With apertures above or below this range, the LED doesn't blink, it just
lights up again once the flash has recycled. I've been using the 50mm f/1.8
lens and 100 speed film.

My experience has led me to conclude that when using a flash, my choice of
aperture is limited, even on the TTL setting. Could someone confirm this and
explain why I can't use any aperture I please? Thanks.