[OM] Re: A lot, a lot, a lot, a lot

Subject: [OM] Re: A lot, a lot, a lot, a lot
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 20:21:22 +0100
Le jeudi 18 Janvier 2007 19:24, John Hudson a écrit :
> > On 1/18/07 12:40 AM, "Philippe Le Zuikomane" <zuikomane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > wrote:
> > > Grammatical abuse ought to be banned by law. Unconditionally.
> > > With heavy sentences for the offenders.
>
> L'Academie francaise comes to mind ........ Cardinal Richelieu had the same
> idea back in 1635 !

Just to nitpick, but L'Académie française purpose is to release a dictionary,
and is not that involved in setting grammar rules. Grammar rules are laid out
in a book by Mr Grévisse (*Le* Grévisse), and this book is considered to have
authority on that matter.

> I wonder what Queen Elizabeth 2 would have done back in 1956 when France
> went pleading to London to be absorbed into the UK :-)

France didn't went pleading as a whole ; prime minister of the time (guy
Mollet) apparently tried to do that, but I don't think he would have had
support of the population (and nobody in his right mind can think that).
Oddly, the idea wasn't totaly new. Churchill made the same proposal in 1940
to french Président du Conseil Raynaud, just before our surrendering to
germans. The idea being that a merger would have prevented french (especially
french empire forces) to stop the fight, in the event of a mainland collapse.
He was rebutted at the time, and there's little doubt Mr Mollet move would
have provoked another rebuttal.

--
Manuel Viet